St. Lucy Sports Parent Code of Conduct
To create an atmosphere that embodies good sportsmanship and follows the philosophies of our Catholic faith, we are introducing these guidelines that will help promote good conduct by our athletes, coaches, and spectators. I therefore agree:
- I will not force my child to participate sports.
- I will remember that my children participate to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
- I will inform the coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
- I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league.
- I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials, and spectators at every game, practice or sporting event.
- I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent such as booing or taunting: refusing to shake hands or profane language or gestures.
- I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health or well being of the athletes.
- I will teach my child to play by the rules and resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials, and spectators with respect regardless of race creed, color, sex or ability.
- I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important that winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance.
- I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard, and make my child feel like a winner every time.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participant for making a mistake or losing a competition.
- I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child over winning.
- I will promote the emotional and physical well being of the athletes ahead of my personal desire I may have for my child to win.
- I will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront an official. I will also never confront coaches on the playing field. I will take time to speak with a coach at an agreed upon time and place.
- I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol. I will refrain from their use at all sports events.
- I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices unless I am an official coach.
I also agree that if I fail to abide by the aforementioned rules and guidelines, I will be subject to disciplinary action. Disciplinary action may include, but is not limited to, written warning or parent game attendance suspension. The proper discipline will be determined by the St. Lucy School Principal and Parish Pastor in consultation with the Athletic Director.